6.24.2008

resume

Gwendolyn Skaggs
449 Troutman St. #3-5
Brooklyn, New York 11237
sugar@sugarbushwick.com

Education
Architectural Technology, Indiana University/Purdue University at Indianapolis 1982-1985
Violin Restoration/Construction, Consort International at Indianapolis 1991-1994


Curatorial List
SUGAR (Founder and organizer September 2009 to present)
Alcove (Founder and organizer of 10 exhibitions Nov. 2006 - April 2008)
Town Hall Meeting (an Alcove project, May 2009 - Sept. 2009)

Exhibition List
Solo Alcove: New York, New York November 2006 A Poem

Solo Five Ten Gallery: Indianapolis, Indiana May 1998
Mobius Strip, The Play Tunnel (Installation)

Group ATC Gallery: Chicago, Illinois March 1998
ParaFelt, Newton’s Cradle (Installation)

Solo Five Ten Gallery: Indianapolis, Indiana July 1997
Newton’s Cradle (Installation)

Group ATC Gallery: Chicago, Illinois November 1996
The Trickster (Juried), So Much Depends Upon...#2 (Installation)

Group ATC Gallery: Chicago, Illinois September 1996
The Mobile Museum (Installation)

Group Hot House Gallery: Indianapolis, Indiana July 1996
Marionette’s

Group Indianapolis Children’s Museum: Indianapolis, Indiana 1996
Marionette’s

Solo Midland Art Center: Indianapolis, Indiana December 1996
Black and White Photographs

Solo The Mobile Museum: Indianapolis Indiana March 1996
Self Storage (Installation)

Solo Utrillo’s Gallery: Indianapolis, Indiana October 1995
Fearing Kisses and Ghosts (Photographs and mixed media)

Solo Utrillo’s Gallery: Indianapolis, Indiana April 1995
World in Balance

Bibliography
SUGAR
Alcove:
ARTslant
NYC info
New York Portraits

BIO
I was born to a carpenter and an artist/activist/homemaker in Indiana, right smack-dab in the middle of the middle class and white America. I am number 7 of 8. On a really good day my mother called me Wendaferd. I have a sidekick, his name is Willie. On a really good day he calls me Darlin'.  I am an artist and the founder of SUGAR (www.sugarbushwick.com). I thought I wanted to be a draftsman. I chose to explore art. I went from Indiana to Southern California, and back to Indiana. I tried Chicago and Baltimore. I wanted extreme diversity, deep tones and rich contrast. New York is a nice fit. A good challenge. A great competitor. When I create art of any medium I trust my intuitions, I am driven by the "tug and pull" effect (both physically and metaphorically).

I take photographs that explain what I am thinking. The image becomes a drawing of my conclusions. Within the captured moment lie my notions and opinions about the world I live. Cropping happens in the lens, eliminating unnecessary words, while enriching others that remain within the frame. My cameras are as modest and unassuming as my images, it is my intention- as are the results.

Elephant Ears



Gwendolyn Skaggs:
Nuvo News Weekly May 21-28, 1998 J. Pratt McQuist The Play Tunnel

Indianapolis Star May 10, 1998 Steve Mannheimer The Play Tunnel

Indianapolis Star April 26, 1998 S. L. Berry The Mobile Museum, The Play Tunnel

Nuvo News Weekly July 31-Aug 7 1997 J . Pratt McQuist Newton’s Cradle

Indianapolis Star July 27, 1997 Steve Mannheimer Newton’s Cradle

Indianapolis Star April 9, 1995 Steve Mannheimer World in Balance